Skip to main content

My Bookish Life Book Review: Long Live The Pumpkin Queen

       Hello and how are you guys doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day . Both my kiddo and I are sick today . We both have colds. He seems to be getting better though. I can tell he feels a lot better than he did yesterday because he is up and playing . 

      I know it's been awhile since I came on here and talked to you guys . I really miss it I do . My life has just went a bit crazy and I have a ton of stuff going on right now. I'm almost done with my studying to become a personal trainer. Hopefully I will be taking my tests soon. After that I have some self care planned that involves lots of reading. I think it will be well deserved because this has been a very crazy and exhausting year. 

      For now though I want to talk books with you guys . So lets get to this review and I hope it's a really good one . Now lets have some fun ! 



Title: Long Live The Pumpkin Queen
Author: Shea Ernshaw
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 315
Rating: 4 stars

Synopsis: Sally Skellington is the official, newly-minted Pumpkin Queen after a whirlwind courtship with her true love , Jack, who Sally adores with every inch of her fabric seams - if only she could say the same about her new roll as Queen of Halloween Town . Cast into the spotlight and tasked with all sorts of queenly duties, Sally can't help but wonder if she has traded her captivity under Dr. Finklestein for a different cage. But when Sally and Zero accidentally uncover a long hidden doorway to an ancient realm called Dream Town in the forest Hinterlands, she unknowingly sets into motion a chain of sinister events that put her future as the Pumpkin Queen , and the future of Halloween Town itself into jeopardy. Can Sally discover what it means to be true to herself and save the town she has learned to call home , or will her future turn into her worst nightmare ?

My thoughts on the book : Ok so this is a sequel to The Nightmare Before Christmas which is a movie I absolutely love . While I didn't like this one as much as the first story , I still really liked it and thought it was a fun read . It did a good job at pulling me out of the craziness that is currently my life for a little bit and that was really nice. 

    In this book you follow Sally as far as the main character goes. I do really like that they gave Sally her own story and I like what they done with her in it . Jack is in this story yes but, he just isn't the main character in this story.   

Something else that was done really well in this book was that you get to see a lot of different realms besides Halloween Town. Jack and Sally go to Valentines Town on their honeymoon and Sally gets to meet the Queen of Hearts . Then Sally adventures into places like Easter Town, St. Patrick's Town , and 4th of July Town by herself in search of some needed answers .

Then Sally goes to a place called Dream Town and I think the author did a really good job of building and creating Dream Town . It was very easy to picture in my mind . When she is in Dream Town Sally finds out a bit more about herself which I liked . It turns out her history isn't exactly what she thought it was and that was interesting . 

One of the main plot points of this book is the Sandman coming out of Dream Town and putting everybody , besides Sally, to sleep . She has to try to figure out how to stop the Sandman and save everybody and she has to do it pretty much by herself . Which that adventure also leads to her figuring herself out more . I just wish that part didn't end so predictably that's why I gave the book 4 stars . 

  Overall though it's a really good read . If you are a fan of the original The Nightmare Before Christmas you should for sure give this book a read ! I found the story to be really fun and imaginative so I gave it 4 stars ! 

That's it for this review . If you happen to like my content please give my blog a follow ! That's it for now I will talk to you all again soon . 

Note: If you want to know what dessert that is in the picture beside the book , it's a dessert called Pumpkin Pie Lasagna . I bought mine from a lady I met at a craft show and it's really really good . I know she puts things like Oreos , cream cheese, whipped topping, pumpkin pie filling and pumpkin spice in it . If you can you should for sure try some . 

Future Blog Plans: I want to review Fairy Tale by Stephen King after I read it . I also found a reading challenge at Books A Million I'm seriously thinking about buying and doing on the blog. I have also been wanting to read more books about music . I'm also going to try to switch the look of this blog around tomorrow just to change it up a bit. As far as bookopolly goes I would love to play it again but I think it has to wait until after I'm done studying . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Review: Carried Away

                    Hello you guys! How are you all? I hope everybody is having a good day! The kiddo woke up at about mid-night last night and never really went back to sleep so I am exhausted . Not to mention it's been a long day house work and going to the gym. Hopefully he sleeps all night tonight!                With that being said though I do want to get this book review done today . Kiddo is watching Blue's Clues so I am going to try to get this up while he is being good. Let's get to the book shall we? Title: Carried Away: A Kairotic Story Author: E.L. Haines Genre: YA Horror with some comedy Pages: 169 Rating: 4 Stars Synopsis: In the midst of a deadly global disease, sometimes it's hard to say which is worse: the pandemic or the pandemonium.                      Sparrow is visiting Italy, just trying to enjoy a decent pizza, when the locals start dropping dead from a mysterious disorder. Soon he is caught up in rampant rumors, a panicking population, and a co