Skip to main content

My Bookish Life : Birthday Book Haul Part 1

           Hello everybody! How are you guys doing? I hope you are all doing nicely. I'm trying to work on some back issues while I make this post.

          So let's get down to the reason why I'm making this post . Even though I have been trying to stay away from them (lack of space), since this is my birth month I allowed myself to go to the Friends of The Library book sale my local library has. So I was wanting to show you all what I hauled.

1. The Darkest Evening of The Year by Dean Koontz

   Synopsis: Amy Redwing has devoted her life to rescuing dogs. But the unique bond she shares with Nickie , a golden retriever she saves in the most dangerous encounter of her life, is deeper than any she has ever known. In one night, their loyalty will be put to the test , and each will prove to the other how far they will go- when the stakes turn deadly serious.

    Why I hauled it: I really like Dean Koontz. I read Watchers last year and loved it and something about the synopsis of this book have me a similar vibe. Plus, the story sounds really interesting.

2. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

    Synopsis: As I Lay Dying was a tour de force, William Faulkner claimed " I simply imagined a group of people and subjected them to the simple universal natural catastrophes , which are flood and fire, with a simple natural motive to give direction to their progress." This 1930s novel is anything but simple however. At it's heart is the Bundren family's bizarre journey to Jefferson to bury Addie, their wife and mother. Faulkner let's each family member-including the dead Addie herself-and others along the way tell this story. As they talk, they reveal what Addie calls their own "secret and selfish thought"- their private responses to Addie's life and their own separate reasons for undertaking the perilous journey to bury her.

   Why I hauled it: I saw it on Goodreads awhile back as a recommendation . I thought it sounded interesting so I added it to my Goodreads TBR and I have been meaning to read it ever since then. This is one of the books I was actually happy to find yesterday.

3. The Mortal Instruments : City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

  Synopsis: When Clare Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder . Much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with odd markings . This is Clary's first time meeting with Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons- and keeping the odd werewolves and vampires in line. It's also her first meeting with gorgeous , golden-haired Jace. Within 24 hours Clary is pulled into Jacy's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in an ordinary mundane like Clary ? And how did she suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

   Why I hauled it: I actually have read this book before and I used to own it but, I got rid of it. For the past few months I have actually been wanting to reread the series and actually finish it this time. This was another book I was happy I found yesterday.

4. Between Good and Evil : A Master Profiler's  Hunt for Society's Most Violent Predators by Roger L. Depue

     Synopsis: He was a pioneer in modern law enforcement, a trail blazing leader in the hunt for serial killers . But after decades of staring deep into the darkness, he entered a seminary to search for the good...

  No one gets closer to evil than a criminal profiler , trained to penetrate the hearts and minds of society's most vicious and dangerous psychopaths . And no one is a more towering figure in the world of criminal profilers than Roger L. Depue. Chief of the FBI Behavioral Science Unit at a time when innovative work first came to prominence, he headed a renowned team of mind hunters that included John Douglas , Robert Ressler, and Roy Hazelwood . In a subbasement sixty feet under the Academy gun vault in Quantico , he broke new ground with analytical technique and training programs that are still used today. After retiring from the FBI , he founded an elite forensics group that consulted on high-profile cases, including the Martha Moxley and JonBenet Ramsey murders, and the Columbine school shootings.

   Why I hauled it : I love the  true crime genre ! I just thought it sounded really interesting. The title grabbed me right away.

5. Four Past Midnight by Stephen King

Synopsis: Past midnight something happens to time, that fragile concept we employ to order our sense of reality . It bends, stretches, turns back, or snaps and sometimes reality snaps with it. And what happens to the wide-eyed observer when the window between reality and unreality shatters and the glass begins to fly? These four chilling novellas , a feast fit for King fans both old and new , provide some shocking answers.

Why I hauled it : As you all can probably tell by reading my previous blog posts I'm a huge fan of Mr. King . When I saw it I couldn't remember if I had this one for sure , I have a pretty huge collection of King books, so I put it in my bag. 

6. Eyewitness The 80s: A Moment In Time

Synopsis: The 1980s have been one of the most turbulent and momentous decades of the 20th century.

  Thave been revolutions and civil wars , invasions and conquest , some short lived some more permanent. The world has changed beyond recognition from that which existed as the 1980s opened. The iron grip of Communism is lifting from Eastern Europe just as the Russian tanks are pulling out of Afghanistan.

 But the decade was not only one of violence and major international events. There was also the more intimate moments which struck the public eye . The two royal royal weddings brought a wave of joy sweeping across Britain and much of the world . The decade took away some of the greatest celebrities , only to replace them with new superstars of the stage, screen, and public life . And there have been disasters too. The Lockerbie plane crash , the Ethiopian famine and the Clapham train crash to name a few .

Yet above all the 1980s have been a decade
of change. A decade in which history has been made, for better or worse in a thousand different ways.

Chronicled in this book are the great events which shaped the decade. The events which excited us, frightened us or made us gasp with pleasure . Illustrated by more than 1,000 photographs supplied by Rex Features/Sipa Press and accompanied by full captions detailing the events portrayed so that you can live again in the ten years that made up the 1980s.

Why I hauled the book: I'm a huge fan of the 80s. I have to say I think it's my favorite decade. So when I find books like this I buy them because I find them interesting! 

7. Tick Tock by Dean Koontz

Synopsis: This book doesn't seem to have one.

Why I hauled the book: As I have previously stated I'm a fan of Mr. Koontz. I've read on a lot of websites where this is one of his better books. Since I had read stuff like that about it when I saw it at the sale I was curious and had to get it.
8. Along Came A Spider by James Patterson

    Synopsis: Along Came A Spider begins with the double kidnapping of the daughter of a famous Hollywood actress and the young son of the Secretary of the Treasury . And that's only the beginning! Gary Soneji is a murderous serial kidnapper who wants to commit the crime of the century. Alex Cross is a brilliant homicide detective pitted against him . Jezzie Flanagan is the female supervisor of the Secret Service who completes one of the most unusual suspense triangles in any thriller you have ever read.

 Why I hauled the book: I like Patterson's Alex Cross series. I've read a few of the books but, not many because once I found out it was a series I wanted to start from the first and then continue from there. So this was for sure a happy find for me!

9. The Woman In Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

    Synopsis: This book also doesn't have one.

    Why I hauled the book: I have been hearing a lot of good stuff about Ruth Ware on youtube. She sounds like an author I would like . Even though this isn't Turn of The Key and the book doesn't have a dust jacket I grabbed it because I'm curious and I want to check out the author.

10. Paper Towns by John Green

Synopsis: Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth from afar . So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life- dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge- he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that their are clues- and they are for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

   Why I hauled the book: I have heard a lot of good things about John Green. I've also read Looking For Alaska and I didn't think it was the best book but, it was good enough for me to want to try another one.  Hopefully this one is really good!

11 . Title : Death Trap by M. William Phelps

Synopsis: A loving father and his new wife set out to pick up his kids for a scheduled weekend visit- but never suspected they were walking into a death trap .  A handwritten note instructed Alan and Terra Bates to enter the back door of his ex-wife's Alabama home . A day later their charred bodies were found hundreds of miles away, wrapped in blankets, in a burned-out car's trunk on a desolate Georgia road.

At Jessica McCord's house, law enforcement found windows covered in blankets , a cache of weapons and ammunition, carpets torn up , new tile on the floors- a couch gone. Then they learned about the nasty divorce and bitter custody battle that had landed Jessica in jail. Upon release, Jessica swore, "Somebody is going to pay." With her new police-officer husband, Jessica became the prime suspect in this double murder.

Why I hauled the book: I love the true crime genre. I thought this one sounded interesting. Sometimes I think why I like the true crime genre is for psychological reasons. It's like I'm more so interested in what was wrong with that person's mind that made them capable of doing such things. 
12. Filthy Rich : The Billionaire's Sex Scandal by James Patterson and John Connelly with Tim Malloy

Synopsis: The influential financier and philanthropist Jeffery Epstein rose rose from humble origins to the rarefied heights of New York City's elite. But he wanted more. That unceasing desire and especially a taste for underage girls resulted in a string of young women coming forward with sordid allegations . 

From the young girls Epstein employed as masseuses in his palatial home, to his famous and powerful friends, to the cops investigating the charges, and to Epstein himself, Filthy Rich is an explosive story- of wealth, power, and influence... and a stunning fall from Grace.

Why I hauled the book: As stated previously I love true crime and I also love James Patterson . Plus, this is a crime that is still a current news story. There is once again the psychological aspect of it all too . The guy was successful and rich, etc. so what was it that was wrong enough with his mind to make him want to be with underaged girls? I think that's really just the tip of the iceberg with the case because I've heard there was possibly sex trafficking and stuff like that involved in it too.

Free Books:



13. Hannibal by Thomas Harris

Synopsis: You remember Hannibal Lector: gentleman, genius, cannibal. He's back and hungrier than  ever in a masterpiece of suspense- a dazzling feast for the imagination.

Why I hauled the book: As you all can obviously tell from reading my blog I love the horror genre. I have been meaning to read the Hannibal series however I want to make sure I have all the books in the series first . I wasn't sure if I had this one so when I saw it in the free cart I grabbed it.

14. None Dare Call It A Conspiracy by Gary Allen

Synopsis: The book doesn't have one

Why I hauled the book: This is a conspiracy book I have heard about for years . It supposed to be about the secret societies that supposedly control the world and stuff like that. This book has actually been on my Goodreads TBR for a few years now so I was happy when I found it in the free cart even if it's not in the best shape. 

That's all of the books I got for my birthday so far. I spent roughly 5 dollars at the book sale so it was a good deal . Plus , I was supporting my local library which I do believe is a good cause. All of the books in this post are going to be added to my TBR jar by the way. 

I'm almost done reading The Institute by Stephen King. I will have a review up for it here shortly. That's it for this update, if you like my content please follow my blog! If you have read any of these books leave your thoughts in the comments (no spoilers please) . I hope you all have a nice evening talk to you all again soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Reviews and Reading Updates

        Hello and how are you guys? I hope you all are having a good afternoon. I have had a pretty calm Sunday myself! We all stayed at home which was peaceful!     So I have a few reading updates for you guys and more than one book review this time! I hope you guys enjoy reading this article because it is going to be a pretty long one. With that being said, let's get started! Title: The Nightmare Before Christmas : The Battle For Pumpkin King Author: Dan Conner Genre: Manga Pages: 128 Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Years ago, Jack and Oogie Boogie were close friends. Both eager to prove themselves, they poured all of their passion into their fantastical projects to earn their rightful place as the scariest duo in town! But there could only be one Pumpkin King! What could have turned to such great friends into bitter rivals? My thoughts on the book: This book was ok . It's illustrations are really good and the story is decent. It was nice to be reading a manga again because it'