Skip to main content

My Bookish Life : The Aviators Wife and Saga Book Reviews

        Hello guys! How have you been? I hope you all have been good. I know it's been a minute since I posted but I have been kind of busy. That being said I do have two books to talk about so this is going to be a pretty long post. With that being said let's get started! 



Title: The Aviator's Wife
Author: Melanie Benjamin
Genre: I think it's historical fiction.
Pages: 416
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: When Anne Morrow, a shy college senior with hidden literary aspirations, travels to Mexico City to spend Christmas with her family, she meets Colonel Charles Lindbergh, fresh off his celebrated 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic. Enthralled by Charles's assurance and fame, Anne is certain the aviator has scarcely noticed her. But she is wrong. Charles sees in Anne a kindred  spirit, a fellow adventurer, and her world will be changed forever.

My thoughts on the book: I think Melanie Benjamin did a really good job. I liked her writing style in this book and she did a good job with telling this story. It will be a rememberable book for sure!

    That being said, and it's one of the reasons the book is only getting three stars, she did such a good job with the writing of the story that she made me really dislike one of the characters! I know very little about the real-life Charles Lindbergh so I don't know if he really was like this but, in the story he was so cold emotion wise that it made me really not like him. There was one part where I thought he might change but no and the end of the story for sure didn't redeem him either. 

Despite that, it was still an alright read. I liked the book overall (I just disliked Charles). I also really liked how Melanie wrote the flying scenes in this. I thought they were very lovely and dream like. They for sure show a love of flying!

   I read this book for my new book club and I'm glad I did. It wasn't something I would normally pick to read but, I also joined this book club because I wanted to discover new books and writers. I'm really glad I did actually read it. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction! This was my first time reading a historical fiction book but it was pretty good so I'm giving it 3 stars! 

Ultimate Reading Challenge Update:
So, since I was on vacation while reading The Aviators Wife, I decided to use it to complete this reading prompt that's part of my challenge.


The prompt is to read in a place you have never read before. While we have vacationed in Pigeon Forge before this was our first time staying at the Arbors Hotel which was really nice!


I loved the jetted tub. This night I did some reading and ate chocolate covered strawberries which was really fun! That for sure was a good way to spend an evening! 

Since my husband actually wanted to spend some time at the hotel too anyways, another thing that sold me on staying at the Arbors was that in their hotel description it said they had outdoor reading nooks on every floor! Needless to say I put the one on our floor to good use!



And I got to have this magnificent view while I read my book:

    It was really very lovely and relaxing. This made me absolutely want to have my own outdoor reading nook some day! I loved the experience!

     Now to show you all what my reward was for fulfilling that prompt!




It was this cute little type writer keychain. I love this and I think it is so adorable! I put it on my keys and started using it right away! 

Now it's time for the second book review in this article!



Title: Saga Volume 10
Author: Brian K. Vaughn
Artist: Fiona Staples
Pages: 160
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: At long last, Hazel and her star-crossed family are finally back, and they have made some new... friends? 

My thoughts on the book: Ok so this collects the first 6 issues after the comic came back from a long hiatus. Before it went on hiatus the author killed off my favorite character, who is a major character in the series so I'm not going to name them, so I was looking forward to seeing how the series was going to pick back up. After reading this volume it looks like it's off to a slow start but that might still be ok I will have to see what the next few volumes are like. 

  Some of the characters in the series are still dealing with major losses that happened to them before the series went on hiatus. It was kind of interesting to see how each of these characters are handling and dealing with the significant losses that happened to them previously. I do wonder where they are going to go from this point. 

 I also think Fiona did a really good job with the artwork. That's not surprising though because, Saga has always been a very beautiful series. She is always spot on with the artwork!

  All of that being said, I feel like this was a slow start for the series. It was however coming back from a really long hiatus, so I am going to read the next few volumes and see if it picks up. Saga is one of my favorite comic book series and I hope it can get back to being the kind of story it was before it went on hiatus. 

  I still love the series but I can only give this volume 3 stars. I'm only giving it 3 stars because it seemed kind of slow like I was just saying. It's still a good read though and I would recommend the Saga comic series to anybody! 

Reading Update:
   I have almost finished the book Mummy's Little Helper by Casey Watson and it's pretty good so far. I will have a review up for it in a day or two. My son and I have also started reading the Spiderman Phonics System books together and I will have a review up for them soon too!

That's it for this reading update! Today's article was pretty long so I hope you all enjoyed reading it. As always if you have read any of these books, please leave your thoughts in the comments so we can discuss them. Also, if you liked my content, please give my blog a like and a follow. I will talk to you guys later goodbye for now!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Review: Carried Away

                    Hello you guys! How are you all? I hope everybody is having a good day! The kiddo woke up at about mid-night last night and never really went back to sleep so I am exhausted . Not to mention it's been a long day house work and going to the gym. Hopefully he sleeps all night tonight!                With that being said though I do want to get this book review done today . Kiddo is watching Blue's Clues so I am going to try to get this up while he is being good. Let's get to the book shall we? Title: Carried Away: A Kairotic Story Author: E.L. Haines Genre: YA Horror with some comedy Pages: 169 Rating: 4 Stars Synopsis: In the midst of a deadly global disease, sometimes it's hard to say which is worse: the pandemic or the pandemonium.                      Sparrow is visiting Italy, just trying to enjoy a decent pizza, when the locals start dropping dead from a mysterious disorder. Soon he is caught up in rampant rumors, a panicking population, and a co