Skip to main content

My Bookish Life: Book Reviews Uzumaki & The Happy Wives Club

           Hello guys and how have you all been? I hope you all have been doing good here recently. I'm doing good I've just been really busy and that's why there hasn't been any book reviews recently. It's been a couple of busy weeks between my kiddo, doing housework, studying and getting things ready for the vacation I just got back from I didn't really have any spare time. 

       So, my family went on vacation recently and we went to Pigeon Forge, Tennesse. We stayed from Thursday to Sunday and had a blast. Also, if you stay at the Arbors Inn Hotel they have cute little reading nooks that yes I did enjoy while I was there. It was very peaceful! You will see that on an up and coming blog but not this one because I read these books before I left on vacation. 

  Now I have some free time though so I want to get this blog done before I get any farther behind. This is going to be an extra-long post though because you are going to be getting two reviews! So I hope you all enjoy the read!



Title: Uzumaki
Author: Junji Ito
Genre: Manga
Pages: 653
Rating: 5 stars

Synopsis: Spirals... the town is contaminated with spirals! Kurouzu-cho, a small fogbound town on the coast of Japan, is cursed! According to Shuichi Saito, the withdrawn boyfriend of teenager Kirie Goshima, their town is haunted not by a person or being but by a pattern: uzumaki, the spiral- the hypnotic secret shape of the world!

My thoughts on the book: I loved this! It was a very quick read because I had a hard time putting it down because it was so odd and just weird and for sure a horror story. As you read it just keeps getting stranger and stranger!

My favorite character is Shuichi Saito. He has some of the most fucked up stuff happen to him but he still stays a good person. He goes a little bit mental I guess but considering the stuff that happens to him it's completely understandable. 

I also really liked the artwork in this story. Some of it is really gross but it helps give the story the messed up feeling it's supposed to have. I was a bit nervous about what I was going to see next! The artist did an amazing job!

If you want to read a good horror story I would highly recommend this one. It was hard to put down and fun to read so I have to give it 5 stars! If you read this you will never look at spirals the same way again!

             Ultimate Reading Challenge Update
I am using Uzumaki to fulfill a prompt on my Ultimate Reading Challenge.




The prompt was to read a graphic novel. Now I will show you what my reward was!



It's a cute little sticky note pad! I will for sure use this! I like it!

Now let's continue to my second review! Onward!



Title: The Happy Wives Club
Author: Fawn Weaver
Genre: Nonfiction
Pages: 272
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: One woman undertakes a worldwide search to learn the secrets of a great marriage-and finds one foundational truth that could change everything. 

My thoughts on the book: It's alright and it's cute. It made me feel happy and it was the light read I needed after reading something like Uzumaki. I liked that it was a change of writing style.

  The different married couples that Fawn talks to in this book are interesting and they all have their own perspectives on marriage. I liked that because all of the couples were unique. That was fun to read! 

  However, I am also a member of The Happy Wives Club because I have been happily married for years now. I think because of that I didn't learn anything I didn't already know about how to create a happy marriage. All of the things the couples mentioned are things I would've told people myself. 

The above reason is why I can only give the book 3 stars. It's cute and it's not a bad read but it's not revolutionary and really thought provoking either it's just kind of in-between if that makes sense. It's not horrible though so check it out if you want a cute read!

    That's it for this reading update! I will be back tomorrow with my April TBR. If you like my content please give my blog a follow. I hope you all enjoyed reading and I will talk to you all again soon. Goodbye for now!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Review: Carried Away

                    Hello you guys! How are you all? I hope everybody is having a good day! The kiddo woke up at about mid-night last night and never really went back to sleep so I am exhausted . Not to mention it's been a long day house work and going to the gym. Hopefully he sleeps all night tonight!                With that being said though I do want to get this book review done today . Kiddo is watching Blue's Clues so I am going to try to get this up while he is being good. Let's get to the book shall we? Title: Carried Away: A Kairotic Story Author: E.L. Haines Genre: YA Horror with some comedy Pages: 169 Rating: 4 Stars Synopsis: In the midst of a deadly global disease, sometimes it's hard to say which is worse: the pandemic or the pandemonium.                      Sparrow is visiting Italy, just trying to enjoy a decent pizza, when the locals start dropping dead from a mysterious disorder. Soon he is caught up in rampant rumors, a panicking population, and a co