Skip to main content

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food! 

       Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this! 



Title: The Maid
Author: Nita Prose
Pages: 304
Genre: Thriller/Mystery
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by.

Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her obsessive love of proper cleaning etiquette, make her an ideal fit for the job. She delights in donning her crisp uniform each morning, stocking her cart with miniature soaps and bottles and returning guest rooms at the Regency Grand hotel to a state of perfection.

But Molly's orderly life is upended the day she enters the suit of the infamous and wealthy Charles Black, only to find it in a state of disarray and Mr. Black dead in his bed. Before she knows what's happening, Molly's unusual demeanor has police targeting her as the prime suspect. She quickly finds herself caught in a web of deception; one she has no idea how to untangle.

My thoughts on the book: I read this book for the book club I joined. I think it was alright and a pretty good pick. I had fun reading it!

     Molly is an interesting character. I kind of think she might have autism because of how she acts in the book. For example, she can't seem to tell what other people's emotions are and how they are feeling. I also think she might have a bit of OCD because her cleanliness is really obsessive. I think the fact that she can't understand other people's emotions also makes it really easy for other people to use her and take advantage of her. 

  There are several people in this book that use Molly for their own purposes. How she falls for it makes her seem a bit naive honestly but, it's because of her mental issues. Some of the characters in this book are pretty interesting though. 

     I will say I never saw the end coming. This story has so many twists and turns that there was no way I could figure out who the killer was. I'm not going to spoil that either you will just have to read the book! 

     So, I have to give the book 3 stars! It was ok and it was a fun read. I liked the pacing of the story and the twists made it interesting. So if you like murder mysteries you might want to check this one out!

That's it for this reading update! If you have read The Maid, please leave your thoughts in the comments (no spoilers please). I will be back in a few days with a review of Takedown by Brad Thor. That's it for now and I will talk to you all again later. Goodbye!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Last Thing He Told Me

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you all are having a good day! Mine has been pretty good so far. I know it's been a while since I have talked to you guys but, I have just been really busy with a lot of life changes. First off, I passed my exam to become a certified personal trainer! I have found a job doing that that I'm going to start next week. Secondly, my son was officially diagnosed with autism a few days ago. That wasn't really a surprise though because we have suspected that for a while now. So yeah my life has been crazy lately!      I have some quite time now so I'm having coffee and I want to talk about books! I have been meaning to do this review for a minute and I'm just looking forward to blogging again! So here we go lets do this. Title: The Last Thing He Told Me Author: Laura Dave Genre: Thriller Pages: 320 Rating: 1 star Synopsis: Before Owen Michaels disappears, he manages to smuggle a note to his beloved wife of one year: Protect Her. Des