Skip to main content

My Bookish Life Book Review: Louder Than Hell : An Oral History of Heavy Metal

    Hello and how are you all doing? I know it's been a while since I have posted on my blog. I still want to do it but, my life is just really crazy right now. I do want to start posting more often though and I do have two (counting this one) book reviews coming up in the next few days. 

  I have had this last book read for a few days now but, my life has just been so crazy that I haven't been able to review it. I have to say this is a really long book and another reason why it's been a minute since you have heard from me. That and I'm reading another book for a completely different review. So let's get to talking about the book that's the subject of this review though. 




Title: Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Heavy Metal
Author: Jon Wiederhorn & Katherine Truman
Genre: Nonfiction
Pages: 736
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: This book uses hundreds of interviews to tell the definitive history of heavy metal.

My thoughts on the book: I like books about music and this one was no different. I liked how this book was telling the history of a genre through interviews. However, I'm giving this book a three because it was way too long I think. As interested in the subject as I am it just started to feel like the book just kept going and going on. 

Despite that, the book is still a pretty good one. I would recommend this book to any heavy metal or rock n roll fan. This book starts with the 70s and the creation of the music and follows it all the way to modern day. Yes that's why it's over 700 pages long!

Just about every genre of metal is covered that I can think of. This book talks about everything from hair metal to nu metal and death metal and thrash. There are a ton of different interviews from a ton of different bands in this and a lot of the interviews are really good. I also enjoyed the photos that are included in the book too.

 All in all I would say that if you are a fan of heavy metal, this book is a must read. However, just know that it is over 700 pages long so reading it is a bit of a commitment. It is very interesting if you are a fan of the genre though!

That's it for this review! If you like my content please give my blog a like and a follow. I will be back with a review of We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix. Until then I will talk to you guys later I hope you all have a good afternoon and I will talk to you guys some more later.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Reviews and Reading Updates

        Hello and how are you guys? I hope you all are having a good afternoon. I have had a pretty calm Sunday myself! We all stayed at home which was peaceful!     So I have a few reading updates for you guys and more than one book review this time! I hope you guys enjoy reading this article because it is going to be a pretty long one. With that being said, let's get started! Title: The Nightmare Before Christmas : The Battle For Pumpkin King Author: Dan Conner Genre: Manga Pages: 128 Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Years ago, Jack and Oogie Boogie were close friends. Both eager to prove themselves, they poured all of their passion into their fantastical projects to earn their rightful place as the scariest duo in town! But there could only be one Pumpkin King! What could have turned to such great friends into bitter rivals? My thoughts on the book: This book was ok . It's illustrations are really good and the story is decent. It was nice to be reading a manga again because it'