Skip to main content

My Bookish Life Book Review: Prodigal Son Frankenstein #1

       Hello friends! How are you guys this morning? I hope you all are doing good. I just woke up but, it's probably going to be a good day. Right now I'm having my coffee and after this I'm going to exercise and do some reading. When my husband wakes up he is going to smoke some meat to take to his parents for our dinner later. So I'm really looking forward to all of that it's going to be fun!

     I'm looking forward to doing this review because I really liked this book! I hope you all enjoy the review too. Now, let's get started!



Title: Prodigal Son: Frankenstein #1
Author: Dean Koontz
Genre: Horror/Sci-fi 
Pages: 469
Rating: 5 stars!!!!

Synopsis:  Every city has it's secrets. But none as terrible as this. His name is Deucalion, a tattooed man of mysterious origin, a slight-of-reality artist who's traveled the centuries with a secret worse than death. He arrives as a serial killer stalks the streets, a killer who carefully selects his victims for the humanity that's missing in himself. Detective Carson O'Conner is cool, cynical, and every bit as tough as she looks. Her partner Michael Madison would back her up all the way to Hell itself - and that just might be where this case ends up. For the no-nonsense   O'Conner is suddenly talking about an ages old conspiracy, a near immortal race of beings, and killers that are more-and less- than human. Soon it will be clear that as crazy as she sounds, the truth is even more ominous. For their quarry isn't merely a homicidal maniac- but his deranged maker.

My thoughts on the book: I loved this one ! I am for sure keeping it in my collection because I think I want to continue with this series for sure! It was just such a fun read! It was probably one of the best books I've read so far this year. 

  I found the whole story itself to be very interesting! *SPOILER WARNING* We are following two cops and they are on a case were one of the killers isn't human and they also need to catch his maker. We meet some very interesting characters along the way. I have several characters I really liked in this story. 

   One character that I liked was Michael Madison. What made me like him was his sense of humor! I think he is hilarious! As a detective he is very good at bringing some lightness to the dark situations they find themselves in. 

   I also like Deucalion. I have to say he has a very odd name and I'm still not completely sure how to pronounce it. If you know please tell me in the comments! I liked him because of his mysteriousness though just intrigued me. If you have ever read the The Crow comics by James O'Barr for some reason I pictured Deucalion looking like Eric Draven does as The Crow I don't really know why I did that. 

 Another character that really interested me was Randal 6. He is another one of the created beings. When his creator made him he gave Randal autism. Randal has a goal he wants to achieve and he is trying to do so while dealing with his autism. You see his stuff from his prospective and just how his mind is working while he is trying to do this and it's just interesting. I hope he plays a bigger role in future books. 

   I really loved the story Dean Koontz told in this book. It was a very good mix of cop procedural and horror/sci-fi. Mr. Koontz got that mix just right and it created a very hard to put down book! Also, his pacing was excellent. The story wasn't too fast or too slow just kind of in-between so it was just right!

I'm giving this book 5 stars! This book could appeal to a lot of people! If you like horror or sci-fi give this book a read. If you like cop procedurals still give this book a read. There is something in it for a lot of readers! 

Ultimate Reading Challenge Update: 
So if you are a regular reader of this blog you know I am doing the Ultimate Reading Challenge! I decided to use this book to fulfill a challenge prompt. 



The prompt was to read a book that has been on my shelf for more than a year. Now since I've read the book lets open the envelope and see what my reward is!





Awe it's a mini little composite notebook. It's adorable! I will for sure use this!

90 Day Backlog Reading Challenge Update: 
  If you normally read my blog you know that I am also doing the 90 Day Backlog Reading Challenge to try to clear space on my bookshelves for new books. Well the reading has been good but the challenge has been rough because so far . I have read two books as part of the backlog challenge and both have been so good I can't donate either one. That and I also had to break the no buying new books rule because I had to buy the book my book club is reading. 

     That's it for now! If you have read this book please leave your thoughts in the comments. Also, if you happen to like my stuff please give my blog a like and a follow! I hope you all enjoyed the review! That's it for now I hope you guys have a nice day. Goodbye!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Review: Carried Away

                    Hello you guys! How are you all? I hope everybody is having a good day! The kiddo woke up at about mid-night last night and never really went back to sleep so I am exhausted . Not to mention it's been a long day house work and going to the gym. Hopefully he sleeps all night tonight!                With that being said though I do want to get this book review done today . Kiddo is watching Blue's Clues so I am going to try to get this up while he is being good. Let's get to the book shall we? Title: Carried Away: A Kairotic Story Author: E.L. Haines Genre: YA Horror with some comedy Pages: 169 Rating: 4 Stars Synopsis: In the midst of a deadly global disease, sometimes it's hard to say which is worse: the pandemic or the pandemonium.                      Sparrow is visiting Italy, just trying to enjoy a decent pizza, when the locals start dropping dead from a mysterious disorder. Soon he is caught up in rampant rumors, a panicking population, and a co