Skip to main content

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!

  Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!

   With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read!





Title: The Radium Girls
Author: Kate Moore
Genre: Non-fiction
Pages: 352
Rating: 5 stars

Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they all began to mysteriously fall ill. As the corporations begin to try to cover up a shocking secret, these determined shining girls suddenly find themselves in the center of a historic and deadly scandal. 

My thoughts on the book: This book made me really mad but, I did like it. I know it was a lot different in the early 20s but it's just disgusting that something like this happened in America. I have to think though that what those girls went through probably saved a lot of other people. I say that because this case is how we got a lot of the worker protections that we now have.

This was a pretty difficult read because the things that happened to these girls were really well described. This includes things like their skin glowing, losing teeth, jaw bones just falling off, legs becoming uneven, having to start wearing a back brace, and even dying. I don't think that list covers even most of what happened to these young girls. Oh they were really young to some were as young as 14 when they started working with radium. 

I got really really mad at the corporations mentioned in this book. They were fucking scum bags! I get that at first they didn't know that radium was poison. However, when they started to find out that radium could be poisonous, they lied about it and tried to cover it up. They lied to the girls and tried to convince them the things that were happening to them weren't because of their jobs or the radium. Also, when the girls started to come forward and go public with everything, the companies tried to convince the public that the girls were lying about it all.

I really loved the girls though. They were so brave and courageous! Through illness, drama, trauma, court trails, and even in the face of death those girls were very graceful about how they handled everything. Well graceful and determined! I thought the author, Kate Moore, did a really good job with the writing during those parts too. 

   I would recommend this book if you want to read a non-fiction book that will shock the hell out of you and make you very mad! I'm giving it 5 stars because while disturbing I think Kate Moore did a very good job with how she wrote this book. This was a read I will never forget!

       That's it for this reading update! I will be back tomorrow with a review of Milk and Honey by   Rupi Kaur. I hope my content production will return to normal next month and I will be able to get things like my monthly tbrs published. This has just been an off month. If you have read The Radium Girls please leave your thoughts in the comments. Also, if you happen to like my content please give my blog a like and a follow. Thank you and have a nice day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Last Thing He Told Me

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you all are having a good day! Mine has been pretty good so far. I know it's been a while since I have talked to you guys but, I have just been really busy with a lot of life changes. First off, I passed my exam to become a certified personal trainer! I have found a job doing that that I'm going to start next week. Secondly, my son was officially diagnosed with autism a few days ago. That wasn't really a surprise though because we have suspected that for a while now. So yeah my life has been crazy lately!      I have some quite time now so I'm having coffee and I want to talk about books! I have been meaning to do this review for a minute and I'm just looking forward to blogging again! So here we go lets do this. Title: The Last Thing He Told Me Author: Laura Dave Genre: Thriller Pages: 320 Rating: 1 star Synopsis: Before Owen Michaels disappears, he manages to smuggle a note to his beloved wife of one year: Protect Her. Des