Skip to main content

My Bookish Life: I Try Food From Books

        Hello friends! It's been awhile but I'm finally doing another I try food from books segment . I bet you all thought there wasn't going to be another one ! Turns out it was just that it took the book awhile to get to my library. This one is a double segment because I decided to review two dishes. 

         



                         These dishes came from the book Last Dinner On The Titanic: Menus and Recipes From The Great Liner by Rick Archbold and Dana McCauley. Lets start with the main dish. For my main dish I chose Chicken Lyonnaise.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup of all purpose flour
2 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
6 boneless chicken breasts
1 egg beaten                      
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil          
2 Onions thinly sliced       
1 clove garlic minced       
1/3 cup white wine           
1 cup chicken stock          
2 tsp tomato paste            
Pinch of granulated sugar 

Directions:
1. Pour flour, 1 tbsp thyme, salt and pepper into bag and shake it together.

2. Doing one at a time place the chicken breasts into the egg and coat and then put the breast into the flour and shake. 

3. Get a large deep skillet and drop in two tbsp over the vegetable oil . Heat over medium high heat.

4. Place chicken skin side down in the pan.

5. Turning once cook the chicken for 10 mins. or until golden brown .

6. Place the chicken in the oven at 225 degrees and turn skillet to medium heat.

7. Put the rest of the oil in the skillet. Add the onions , garlic , and remaining thyme. Cook for five minutes stirring often or until onions are translucent. Increase the heat to medium high and cook for 5 more minutes.

8. Next add the wine to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute or until reduced by half.

9. After that, pour in the chicken stock, tomato paste & sugar. Boil for 2 minutes or until beginning to thicken.

10. Return the chicken to the pan . Cook for 5 minutes turning the chicken to coat it.

            My thoughts on the dish: I did not like the dish at all really! It was a lot of work and it tasted kind of bland to me .  Also, mine was a bit soggy for some reason. 

               I'm disappointed in this dish because, it was a first class dish according to the book. I know that was in 1912 but still, the dish was a lot of work and it turned out bland and soggy. For those reasons I'm giving this dish 1 star. Now onto the side !

Chateau Potatoes
Ingredients: 
6 medium potatoes
2tbsp unsalted butter
1tbsp Vegetable Oil
1tbsp finely chopped Rosemary
1/2 tsp both salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Cut up the potatoes.

           2. Place butter , oil and rosemary in a large baking dish and place in the oven at 425 degrees for 2-3 minutes or until butter is sizzling.

3. Pat potatoes dry and place them in the pan.

4. Stir potatoes to coat with butter. Bake at 425 for 35-40 minutes stirring occasionally . Season with salt and pepper. 

                        My thoughts on the dish: Loved this one ! The potatoes were easy to make and they tasted great! They were way better than the chicken.

                                  I'm not surprised this one was also a 1st class dish. The potatoes were very flavorful and kind of crispy.  I'm giving this recipe 5 stars!  It was awesome! 

                              That's it for this update. If you have tried these foods please leave your thoughts in the comments . Also, if you like my content please subscribe to my blog! I will be back with a book review for The Last Dinner on The Titanic. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day. 

Facebook Page For This Blog: Link
Amazon Wish List: Link

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Last Thing He Told Me

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you all are having a good day! Mine has been pretty good so far. I know it's been a while since I have talked to you guys but, I have just been really busy with a lot of life changes. First off, I passed my exam to become a certified personal trainer! I have found a job doing that that I'm going to start next week. Secondly, my son was officially diagnosed with autism a few days ago. That wasn't really a surprise though because we have suspected that for a while now. So yeah my life has been crazy lately!      I have some quite time now so I'm having coffee and I want to talk about books! I have been meaning to do this review for a minute and I'm just looking forward to blogging again! So here we go lets do this. Title: The Last Thing He Told Me Author: Laura Dave Genre: Thriller Pages: 320 Rating: 1 star Synopsis: Before Owen Michaels disappears, he manages to smuggle a note to his beloved wife of one year: Protect Her. Des