Skip to main content

My Bookish Life Book Review: A Child Called It

       Hello everybody! How are all you guys? I'm pretty good I'm just waking up though. My kiddo and I went to the Hwy 411 Yard Sale yesterday and we had lots of fun. I will post the book haul I got from the yard sale later. Right now I want to get this book review posted before I have to go into work.  I have my coffee and I'm ready to go ! 



Title: A Child Called It
Author: Dave Pelzer
Genre: True Crime
Format: Audio
Rating: 5 stars!!

Synopsis: This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It's the story of Dave Pelzer , who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable , alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games- games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "It." Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. . The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive-dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son. 

My thoughts on this book: This book was recommended to me by my friend Montana . I have to say I did find the book interesting and I liked it however hard it was to listen to. It was a very provoking story. 

  I'm not going to lie , this story had me pretty emotional and angry. I mean what mother in her right mind could do that shit to her kid. It's disgusting and horrifying. I have trouble picturing what kind of mom could have the heart to do that crap. What the hell was wrong in her head because, his mom couldn't have been sane.

Thankfully, the book has a happy ending. I don't know how Dave survived that shit but, he somehow did which is amazing! I hope he has had a very happy life after all the shit he had to go through as a kid. 

So , I have to give this book five stars! I'm giving this book five stars because this book did provoke some feelings in me which means it was good in my opinion. True a lot of the emotion was anger but, I was also very happy when Dave survived everything. I would recommend this book to true crime fans or really just anybody in general and I would like to thank my friend Montana for recommending it to me. 

That's it for this reading update ! In a day or two I will be back with my Reading Wrap Up for September , and a review for Code of Conduct by Brad Thor. I also have a special TBR planned for October that I will be posting to . I know I'm going to be really busy working on my blog for the next several days but, it's going to be fun! That's it for this reading update I will talk to you guys again later . Goodbye for now !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Reviews and Reading Updates

        Hello and how are you guys? I hope you all are having a good afternoon. I have had a pretty calm Sunday myself! We all stayed at home which was peaceful!     So I have a few reading updates for you guys and more than one book review this time! I hope you guys enjoy reading this article because it is going to be a pretty long one. With that being said, let's get started! Title: The Nightmare Before Christmas : The Battle For Pumpkin King Author: Dan Conner Genre: Manga Pages: 128 Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Years ago, Jack and Oogie Boogie were close friends. Both eager to prove themselves, they poured all of their passion into their fantastical projects to earn their rightful place as the scariest duo in town! But there could only be one Pumpkin King! What could have turned to such great friends into bitter rivals? My thoughts on the book: This book was ok . It's illustrations are really good and the story is decent. It was nice to be reading a manga again because it'