Skip to main content

My Bookish Life Book Review: Wizard and Glass

Title: Wizard and Glass : The Dark Tower IV
Author: Stephen King
Genre: Western, Fantasy, Romance 
Pages: 699 
Rating: 5 stars

Synopsis: Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy find themselves stranded in an alternate version of Topeka, Kansas , one that has been ravaged by a super flu virus. While following the deserted I-70 toward a distant glass palace , they hear the squalling of a thinny, a place where the fabric of existence is almost entirely worn away. While camping near the edge of the thinny, Roland tells his ka-tet a story about another thinny, one that he encountered when he was little more than a boy. Over the course of one long magical night, Roland transports us to the Mid-World of long ago and a seaside town named Hambry, where Roland fell in love with a girl named Susan Delgado, and where he and his old ka-tet mates Alain and Cuthbert battled the forces of John Farson, the harrier who- with a little help from a seeing sphere called Maerlyn's Grapefruit- ignited Mid-World's final war.

      My thoughts on the book: This book is really dense . That's why it took me so long to get through it even though it was a reread. However, King does extraordinarily well at  the world building and character building in this book. 

      The book played pretty vividly in my head as I read it. That makes some parts particularly intense and hard to read. Mainly what this book is about is the backstory of the series main character Roland Deschain. It is one hell of a backstory that I would say is like a western romance, mixed with just a plain western and some fantasy elements. Beware some parts of this book are particularly violent.  
 
   It's really easy to see a movie in your head as you read this. The characters are so vivid and colorful it's easy to see them in your head. The same can be said about the places themselves. 
   
    Also if you are a fan of The Stand or The Wizard of Oz while I can't say much about it without spoiling things, there some interesting parts you will like. Certain characters make a crossover in this book for example. Those parts were interesting for sure.
 
 One thing I like about this book, is that once your done reading this book you feel like you have read something! It leaves you with a very full feeling that I know I at least I don't get from alot of books. When I finished this I couldn't read anything else for the rest of the day because I was simply full of story if that makes sense. 

    All of the reasons stated above are why I'm giving the book 5 stars ! There really isn't a bad book in King's Dark Tower series. I am looking forward to rereading The Wolves of Calla : Dark Tower V next!


      Continuing My Series of Dark Tower Paintings: 
  Here we have my painting of both the young and old versions of Roland Deschain.  Painting people isn't one of my strengths so I was really nervous about this one but, there wasn't another thing I could paint to represent this book. It took me the longest time to complete this painting. 

       First, I spent days drawing the two different versions of Roland. I do think my ability to draw people got at least a little bit better during that time. It's still not the best though.

     Then came all of the time I spent actually painting it. If I have to estimate the time it took me to paint that I would say probably around 6 hours . I just finished it up today. 

     I also have a Dark Tower book mark I'm  making but I'm not exactly done with it yet. I have to touch up some of the paint on it and seal it and add a charm. I will probably be able to show it to all of you sometime this weekend maybe.

      That's it for this update! If you have read the book please leave your thoughts in the comments.  Also, if you happen to like my content please give my blog a follow. I will talk to you all again soon goodbye for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Radium Girls

   Hello and how are you all doing today? I hope all of you are having a good day. I am having a pretty good day so far. My husband and I went out and had some fun early this morning. We just spent the morning out in town which I enjoyed!   Now I want to do some blogging. I know it's been a while since I done any and I am hoping I can get it all caught up this weekend. I actually have a couple of book reviews to do. So, it's going to be a jam packed weekend!    With that being said let's get this started! I think this first one will be a good one because the book was really interesting! So, I hope you all enjoy the read! Title: The Radium Girls Author: Kate Moore Genre: Non-fiction Pages: 352 Rating: 5 stars Synopsis: Amidist the excitement of the early 20th century, hundreds of young women spend their days hard at work painting watch dials for troops overseas using glow in the dark paint that contained radium. They were well paid and considered themselves lucky- until they

My Bookish Life Book Review: The Maid

       Hello and how are you guys? I hope you are all doing good! I've had a pretty good weekend so far. My husband and I went on a date yesterday and that was really nice! We went to this new cantina that's in town and they had really good food!         Now this morning I'm relaxing and I want to talk books with you guys! I'm about to make some coffee and then I will be ready to rock this review. Alright I'm back with my coffee so let's do this!  Title: The Maid Author: Nita Prose Pages: 304 Genre: Thriller/Mystery Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and has trouble reading other peoples intentions. Her Gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules for Molly to live by. Since Gran died a few months ago 25-year-old Molly has been navigating life's complexities all by herself. She throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. Her unique character, along with her

My Bookish Life Book Reviews and Reading Updates

        Hello and how are you guys? I hope you all are having a good afternoon. I have had a pretty calm Sunday myself! We all stayed at home which was peaceful!     So I have a few reading updates for you guys and more than one book review this time! I hope you guys enjoy reading this article because it is going to be a pretty long one. With that being said, let's get started! Title: The Nightmare Before Christmas : The Battle For Pumpkin King Author: Dan Conner Genre: Manga Pages: 128 Rating: 3 stars Synopsis: Years ago, Jack and Oogie Boogie were close friends. Both eager to prove themselves, they poured all of their passion into their fantastical projects to earn their rightful place as the scariest duo in town! But there could only be one Pumpkin King! What could have turned to such great friends into bitter rivals? My thoughts on the book: This book was ok . It's illustrations are really good and the story is decent. It was nice to be reading a manga again because it'